In this Section we present data that are available in a more timely fashion than our complete, validated datasets, which are produced to meet legislative requirements. The data can be from administrative data sources, or they may represent a subset of EPA waste statistics data that, due to reduced scope, can be validated more quickly than the full survey. Initially we present data relating to waste accepted at landfills, helping to provide policy makers and other stakeholders with an early indication of when capacity issues may arise. This section will continue to be expanded over time to include other datasets of particular relevance to our national users.
Waste Accepted at Landfill
EPA Waste Data Release - 04 February 2019 for reference period to Q4 2018
Landfills report annual information on municipal, construction and demolition, and industrial/other waste they accept and dispose of or recover. In addition, they also submit quarterly data on municipal waste they accept. In quarter four of 2018, nearly 103,400 tonnes of municipal waste were accepted at Irish landfills.
Municipal Waste Accepted at Landfill
- In 2018, approximately 426,500 tonnes of municipal waste were accepted at landfill. This compares to 642,500 tonnes in 2017.
- Five landfills accepted municipal waste in 2017 and 2018.
- The quarterly tonnage of municipal waste accepted at landfill decreased from quarter two to quarter four in 2017, then increased to quarter three in 2018, to drop in quarter four of 2018.
- The total (municipal, construction and demolition, and industrial/other) tonnage of waste accepted at landfill increased every year from 2013 to 2016.
- The majority of waste accepted at landfill between 2013 and 2016 was construction and demolition waste; and this waste was mainly recovered (used for engineering purposes or similar) rather than disposed of.
Waste Recovery and Disposal at Landfill
|Quarter||2017 (tonnes)||2018 (tonnes)|
|Year||Municipal disposal (tonnes)||C&D disposal (tonnes)||Industrial/other disposal (tonnes)||Municipal recovery (tonnes)||C&D recovery (tonnes)||Industrial/other recovery (tonnes)|